The Parish Church of St. Michael, at the end of Church Street, is one of Helston`s principal features of interest. It was built, at the expense of the Earl of Godolphin, in 1751-1761 to replace an earlier structure that had been burnt down after being struck by lightning. The church was designed by Thomas Edwards of Greenwich and the interior, with its iron colums and gallery, strongly resembled the church of St. Alfege at Greenwich, a church designed by Hawksmoor.
A granite porch with pilasters was added in 1830 with a staircase up to the gallery. Other features of interest in this church include Elizabetahn brasses in the porch; a vast brass chandelier (of 1762) with 24 branches (given by the Earl of Godolphin when the church was built) and the original 18th century east window of coloured glass. Its replacement, at the east end of the church, is filled by modern glass (1938) by Krugar Grey showing two angels dancing the Furry Dance.
There are two ornate early 19th century monuments in the church whilst in the churchyard is the garve of HENRY TRENGROUSE, inventor of the rocket life-saving apparatus for sailors. Trngrouse, who lived from 1772-1854, was Helston`s most famous citizen, well acquainted with local shipwrecks and thus able to put his scientific knowledge to a valuable and humane use.